Have you just sold your home? Here are some tips for preparing for your closing date
- Make sure you have retained a lawyer and given them a copy of your agreement of sale, any mortgage statements, and a current property tax bill. The lawyer will advise you on how the closing will work and arrange a meeting with you to sign documents for the closing usually a few days before the closing date. The lawyer will also provide you with a statement of adjustments breaking down the financials for the closing.
- Arrange movers for your closing date and ensure you are out of the property when it closes before 6 p.m on the closing date.
- Do not cancel your household insurance policy until you have heard that the deal has closed, if you are moving out more than 30 days before closing, you need to notify your insurer that the home will be vacant. This way, you will still be covered if anything happens in the home up to the closing date.
- If your house is heated with an oil tank, you need to make arrangements to fill the tank on the closing day.
- Have all your utility meters read on the day of closing and arrange to cancel or transfer the accounts as of the day of closing.
- Contact your cable and telephone provider so that your service can be disconnected or transferred to your new residence.
- Update your mailing address on your important identification documents and bills as well as your bank accounts.
- Ensure you remove all items within the home and garage and leave the property clean and tidy and in the same condition it was in when you entered into your agreement with the buyer.
And finally have a great move!
Broker of Record
iListRealEstate Inc. Brokerage
Your Trusted Real Estate Advisor
Real Estate Websites by Web4Realty